Monday, August 10, 2015

NARS Knows How to Make Lip Products

It was unintentional but somehow all the lip products I own from NARS fall under the same colour family of dusty purple lilac hues. I don't wear purply shades on an everyday basis, however I do enjoy having those options for a pop of colour. If I want to rock a bold lip I either opt for an orange-red or purply shade. Today I will share with you my NARS goodies comprising of Larger Than Life Lipgloss in Anneés Folles, Velvet Lipliner in El Agua and Audacious Lipstcik in Dominique. 

NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss in Années Folles,
Velvet Lip Liner in El Agua, Audacious Lipstick in Dominique

I am sure most of you are familiar with NARS, and if not, it's a cruelty-free makeup brand that is part of the Estée Lauder group. In their range they pretty much carry everything you can think of when creating a makeup look plus some skincare bits and pieces. If you are in Finland the easiest way to get your hands on NARS is to order online from their EU website where you get free shipping on orders over 50,00€. And believe me it's not difficult to spend that amount, especially if you are just getting to know the brand. But let's jump right into the product, shall we.
L-R: NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss in  Anneés Folles,
Audacious Lipstick in Dominique, Velvet Lip Liner in El Agua

First up is the NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss in Anneés Folles. On NARS' website it's described as sheer violet. I would say it's pretty accurate. This lipgloss comes in a sleek packaging with 6ml of product. The main reason why I don't have a lot of lip glosses, and to be fair this is the first one I purchased in years, is because I hate the sticky feeling. However NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss has converted me back to using lip gloss. I can't speak for the entire range but the Anneés Folles formula is fantastic. It's non-sticky, easy to apply, doesn't gloop and lasts for a really long time considering it's sheer. The colour is everyday-suitable especially if you go for more cool-toned looks. I can't really fault this product. Of course some might find spending over 20,00€ on a lipgloss insane and I get that.


NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss in Anneés Folles
NARS Larger Than Life Lipgloss in Anneés Folles

Next up is the NARS Velvet Lip Liner in El Agua. I am not going to lie, it was a pain to get this pencil. It was sold out for quite some time. I might have overlooked it if not for the hype. NARS describes it as lavender rose and it's exactly that. It's a mix of purple and rose. The packaging is sleek and is colour coded which is a plus if you are like me and store your pencils upside down to see the colour. You get 0,5g of product. It's a retractable pencil that comes with a sharpener. You can pull out the sharpener from the flat end of the pencil. I think that's pretty neat especially if you want to get a more precise application, but I honestly never use the sharpener. In terms of formula it's creamy and glides on the lips without tugging or pulling. It's extremely long-wearing. However, I would say that it's pricey for what it is. If you are not too crazy about the colour I say Catrice and Rimmel Exaggerate Lipliners are as good. 

NARS Velvet Lip Liner in El Agua
NARS Velvet Lip Liner in El Agua

Last but certainly not least is the NARS Audacious Lipstick in Dominique. It's described as a pinky-lilac. I personally think it's more of a greyish-purple shade. It comes in a black sleek packaging with 4,2g of product. I really like that the packaging is magnetised, it feels weighty and luxurious. The texture of this lipstick is buttery smooth. The pigmentation is on point. With one swipe you get the colour you see in the bullet. This is by far my favourite lipstick formula and I have tried a lot of lipsticks. The finish it gives is not too matte nor too shiny. It's that sophisticated creamy matte look. The colour lasts really long on the lips and when it does wear off it does so nicely. You don't get that weird line in between your lips. This is the only shade I have from the range as I thought it was the most unique. But now I am also tempted to get more of an everyday type of colour. These lipsticks are priced similarly with Charlotte Tilbury, however I really think they are worth it. Plus the colour selection is outstanding, you are bound to find a shade that appeals to you. 

NARS Audacious Lipstick in Dominique
NARS Audacious Lipstick in Dominique

My final thoughts are that NARS do lip products really well. I cant complain about the ones I tried. If I had to recommend just one product it would be the Audacious Lipsticks. These apply like a dream, they are opaque in one swipe and they last really long. Over the years I happened to realise that it's better to buy one good lipstick that you will use every day than have a bunch of mediocre ones that you don't care for. If you have a NARS counter near you I warmly suggest going and swatching a few shades. If you are not so fortunate and don't have Sephora or NARS near you, I suggest looking into shades like Anita (antique rose) or Brigitte (nude rose). Those are universally flattering. 

Let me know if you have tried anything else from NARS and would you recommend it!

Cheers,
Muffy

2 comments:

  1. oh I love NARS lipsticks! I have Audacious Lipstick in Silvia and I just recently got True NARS Bright Lip Pencil Set - the value for money is perfect as you get three pencils for 39 euros (one retails for 26€) and the quality, color payoff and durability are amazing. I will certainly pick up more soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wanting to try the NARS Mette Lip Pencils but can't decided on the colour! Problems of the beauty junky!

      Delete