Monday, August 3, 2015

Kiehl's Iris Extract Activating Treatment Essence

Kiehl's Iris Extract Activating Treatment Essence has caught my attention about six months ago. I have been waiting for a moment when there will be finally a product along the lines of essence that is so popular in Asia. I am sure you have heard of SK-II Facial Treatment Essence, which is one of the most known in the skincare industry. Asians incorporate essence as part of their everyday skincare routine. I have given it a fair test and to find out if it's a marketing gimmick or something worth looking into then keep on reading!


Let's start with defining essence. It is not a toner nor a cleanser. Due to its high doses of active ingredients it's meant to sink deep into the skin when it has already been properly prepped. However, it shouldn't be confused with serums that come in smaller jars with an even higher concentration of ingredients. Kiehl's Iris Essence comes in a 200ml plastic bottle. Traditionally essence is stored in glass bottles, but I don't really mind the plastic. It means that it's that much lighter to carry if I take it with me whilst travelling. It is paraben and oil free. As with all essences the texture is very similar to water. It's runny and velvety. You need just a few drops to cover your entire face. Do not put this product onto a cotton pad, rather squeeze a few drops directly into your palms. I suggest patting the product into the skin instead of rubbing.


The key ingredient as the name suggests is the Iris Florentina Root Extract. It also contains Lipo Hydroxy Acid and Sodium Hyaluronate. It claims to visibly improve the appearance of fine lines, dullness and rough texture over time. It's suitable for all skin types. I have been using this product since March, so for a good 5 months. I apply it in the morning and evening. This product should be added as an extra step in your skincare routine after toning and before serum. It helps prime the skin and ensures that whatever you put afterwards sinks in faster, penetrating the deeper layers of your skin. I have been really enjoying this product and I noticed somewhat of a difference in my skin. I like it mostly for its hydrating properties. My skin is extremely dehydrated while being combination. Therefore I really look for a product that will add moisture back to my skin without leaving it feeling greasy. And I see this one ticking all the boxes. In terms of fine lines and rough texture I haven't noticed a massive difference. However, I think that my skin looks more radiant and plumped. I haven't gotten any new breakouts either. I also noticed that the serums and masks absorb more rapidly after I incorporated this product into my regime. 

Is this a must have product? It depends. I personally like it. I enjoy having that extra step in my routine and it works in terms of keeping my breakouts at bay and providing hydration to my skin. That being said if you are used to products that deliver over night results this is not it. With this product you have to use it consistently over a course of weeks in order to notice a difference. Regarding its anti-aging properties I can't really comment either. I would say if anti-aging is your main concern maybe look for something more potent. 

As with all Kiehl's products you can ask for a sample prior to purchasing a full size product. I suggest asking for a couple of sachets, those will last you for a good week or so. You can get this product at your nearest Kiehl's counter or online.

Let me know if you have tried similar products and what your thoughts are!

Cheers,
Muffy

No comments:

Post a Comment