Thursday, August 13, 2015

My Go-To Eyeshadow Bases

Nowadays an eyeshadow base is a staple in my makeup routine. I have no idea how I lived without it before. I always thought that it was acceptable that eyeshadows would crease and fade throughout the day. Now I know better. I have tried a lot of bases and primers both from  the mass market and more expensive brands. I have been able to narrow it down to my three go-to products that do not disappoint. If you want to know which are the lucky three, then keep on reading!


First up and the newest one to my collection is the Armani Eyes & Brow Maestro. I have the shade 03. I don't use it for brows as obviously this is not my colour. It's more suited for redhead girls and boys. However it works great as an eyeshadow base. You can wear it on its own or as a base for warm toned shadows. I usually gravitate towards warm tones, therefore it's perfect for me. I would describe the colour as copper or burned orange with subtle shimmer. The shimmer does not translate on the lids at all. The consistency is quite interesting. It's not as creamy as your standard cream eyeshadows like Maybellin Color Tattoos or MAC Paint Pots nor is it as dry as the brow gels that come in pots. It's somewhere in between. It applies nicely on the lids but it dries pretty quickly. And once it sets it's not moving anywhere. It claims to be waterproof and to have 20h of wear time. I don't keep my makeup on for 20h so I can't say much about that. But I agree that you need to use an oil or makeup remover to take it off. I think for redhead ladies and gents out there this could be a true multitasking product.

Armani Eye & Brow Maestro in 03

Next up is the Lancome Long Wear Eyeshadow Base. I have it in the  shade 03 Nude. As the name suggests it's a nude beige colour, very similar to Mac's Paint Pot in Painterly. It has a creamy texture that blends like a dream. You need just a tiny little bit to cover both of your eyelids. I usually apply these types of products with my finger but lately I have been cracking out the Zoeva 142 Concealer Buffer brush and it works well. As with the Armani Eyes & Brows Maestro you can wear it on its own or under an eyeshadow. It's great for neutralising redness and veins on the lids. As you can see mine is very well loved, especially during warmer months. It lasts all day on me without creasing. That being said, it did crease on my friend, so if possible I would recommend testing it out first since it's not cheap. I do want to mention that if you have dry eyelids (like yours truly) you can't use this product regularly. It will dry them out even more. Therefore, it's best to switch it up once and again with another product, like the one I am about to present next.

Lancome Long Wear Eyeshadow Base in 03 Nude

Last and my most used is NARS' Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. Unlike the other two it comes in a tube with a doe foot applicator. It has no particular colour to it, just a slight white hue but once blended on the lids it disappears. In terms of consistency it's the most liquidy from the bunch. It leaves a faint tacky veil on the lids allowing for eyeshadows to adhere nicely. I usually dust a neutral shadow over it like Wet n Wild Brulee or Makeup Geek Baby Face, which helps eyeshadows I put on top to blend seamlessly. As a matter of fact I use this technique with any eyeshadow base. This is my tried and true eye primer that I recommend to everyone. It's cruelty -free and I know that my eye makeup will stay put all day. You need just a little bit of product, hence the tube will last you for a long time. It will not dry out, which tends to happen with cream products that come in pots. It's also the most travel friendly since it's not made out of glass.

NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

L-R: Armani Eye & Brow Maestro 03,
Lancome Long Wear Eyeshadow Base 03 Nude,
NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

Eyeshadow bases are something I have overlooked for a long time. Now I can't do my makeup without them. If your eyeshadows crease and you struggle to find an eyeshadow base or primer that actually works, try at least one of these. Although a good all-rounder and my favourite has to be NARS' Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. It's cruelty-free, comes in a handy packaging, has no tint to it (can be used under any makeup) and won't dry your eyelids out. Believe me it will change your eyeshadow game! 

Let me know what's your trusty eyeshadow base or primer, I'd love to know!

Cheers,
Muffy



No comments:

Post a Comment