Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Charlotte Tilbury Norman Parkinson Collection Lipsticks

When I heard that Charlotte Tilbury was coming out with a limited edition collection, I knew I had to have at least something from it. It was not just any limited edition collection. It was in collaboration with the famous British photographer Norman Parkinson and was vintage-inspired. I am not gonna lie the items in this collection are pricey. Therefore, I decided to go with the least damaging but still quite damaging option and picked up two lipsticks: Miss Kensington and 1975 Red.  

Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipsticks in
 1975 Red and Miss Kensington

Let's start with the most obvious - packaging. It is no different than her permanent lipsticks, but it's nevertheless beautiful. I think there was no need to make a special packaging for these lipsticks as they already have a vintage look and feel to them. I adore the rose gold sleek bullets. In terms of texture these do not disappoint. No wonder it's called modern-matte, since they don't feel drying at all. They are creamy and glide on your lips. They also have an unusual sheen to them, featuring innovative 3D glowing pigments. Charlotte says it was designed to make your lips look more full and plumped. It's especially evident with the 1975 Red. As with all her lipsticks they have a light vanilla scent, which I personally like. I prefer it to for example the fruity scent that YSL Rouge Volupte lipsticks have (it's not bad by no means).

L-R: Miss Kensington and 1975 Red

Now to the most intriguing part - the actual shades she picked for this iconic collaboration. First up is Miss Kensington. Charlotte Tilbury describes it as a rose petal shade, inspired by the quintessentially English, ‘haughty but naughty’ girls of the swinging ‘60s in Chelsea and Kensington and the pastel hues in Norman Parkinson’s pictures of his muses: Audrey Hepburn, Twiggy and his wife Wenda. This colour she suggested especially for fairer skin tones and I agree with that. In my opinion the colour is more of a peachy-pink, I can definitely see some peach hues in it. It surely reminds me of the 60s. Next up is 1975 Red and it's a beauty. This one is by far my favourite. It is described as the classic ‘70s sunset red that captures the fun, naughty and glamorous mood of the decade. It is inspired by Jerry Hall’s Jamaica Blue & Beautiful, British Vogue cover from May 1975, shot by Norman Parkinson. It is a stunning colour. It applies like a dream. It's that perfect combination of orange-red with a vintage vibe to it. Unlike Miss Kensington I think this colour would be flattering on both light and medium skin tones.

Miss Kensington
1975 Red
L-R: 1975 Red and Miss Kensington

In terms of ingredients these contain: lipstick tree extract (I could not figure this one out), orchid extract, carica papaya fruit extract and safflower seed oil. Charlotte Tilbury's products are cruelty-fee. I don't think these lipstick are particularly long-wearing, especially if you eat or drink. But due to their unique shape they are extremely easy to re-apply, even the darker colours. I wore 1975 Red without a lipliner and it looked great.

Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in 1975 Red
Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Lipstick in Miss Kensington

Here comes not so nice part. I have to be honest and say I was disappointed with Miss Kensington. Don't get me wrong the colour is pretty but the pigmentation is not there. The swatch you see above is not with one or even two or three swipes. I had to seriously build up the colour to get the opacity. It's extremely sheer, not something I would have expected from a modern-matte lipstick at all. I will try to make it work by mixing it with other shades or pairing it with a lipliner, we shall see. I do love the colour, therefore I am willing to go through the extra trouble. The point being if you are looking for an opaque colour payoff with just one swipe like with NARS Audacious Lipsticks or 1975 Red, it's not going to happen. 

Overall, I am happy I have both. Even though Miss Kensington was a bit of a let-down, I like having it for sentimental reasons. However, if you are not into the whole vintage-inspired have to have it all type of thing, I say skip Miss Kensington. Instead pick 1975 Red. Even if you don't wear bold colours, this one just might make you do it! These lipsticks retail for 30,00€ a piece. You can purchase it from Charlotte Tilbury's website or Net-a-Porter. 

Let me know if you have tried anything from Charlotte Tilbury, I'd love to know!

Cheers,
Muffy

No comments:

Post a Comment