Saturday, August 15, 2015

Budget Pick - Essence Nail Polishes

Let's talk a bit about nails today. I have to say I can be pretty fussy when it comes to nail polish. If I am going to paint my nails I want it to be fast, easy and opaque. Very often I wouldn't do it just because I don't want to go through the trouble. Therefore I need a nail polish to meet the above criteria for me to even get motivated! My all-time favourite nail polish is YSL La Laque Couture. Let's be honest, nobody has the money to spend on a luxury nail polish, including myself. Surely I can treat myself once in a while but that is that. Recently a friend of mine introduced me to the Essence Gel Nail Polishes. To find out if it's a hit or a miss, then keep on reading!

Essence The Gel Nail Polishes

I spoke about Essence blushes shortly in my recent post, which I think are great especially for the price. I am still quite new to the brand but there are some products that have impressed me more than others. The Gel Nail Polishes come in cute little bottles containing 8ml of product. For comparison Essie nail polishes have 13,5ml of product and YSL contains 10ml of product. I don't mind that the bottle is smaller than average since I never go through an entire bottle of nail varnish anyhow. In terms of colour range I think it's alright considering it's an affordable brand. You will not find as wide a selection as with Essie but you can get some pretty good basics. They vary in textures as well: some are creamy, others have a slight shimmer and if you like glitter they got you covered too! There is a reason why they are called The Gel Nail Polishes. When you apply them they actually dry to a glossy finish, so you don't necessarily need a top coat. 

L-R: 36 Dare It Nude, 37 Serendipity, 18 I Don't Care

I picked up three shades: 36 Dare It Nude, 37 Serendipity and 18 I Don't Care. I think this is a good set that will take you from day to night. You have your average nude that is great for work or job interview type of situations. You have your classic orange-red for special occasions and classy look, and you have your purply-grey that is a modern twist on an everyday colour. My favourite out of the colours I have has to be the 18 I Don't Care. It's that perfect mix of orange-red and applies beautifully on the nails. I would say with all these nail polishes you need two coats, which is fine by me. The brush is flat and wide just how I prefer it. This makes it so easy to distribute the polish just with few swipes. The reason why I avoid OPI nail polishes altogether is because I can't work with their brush, it's too skinny. 

Essence nail polishes wear on me for a good 3-5 days without a top coat. Usually Essie nail polishes chip on me the next day or within a couple of days. With YSL the longevity depends on the colour. For instance YSL Rose Baby Doll stays put for a week, while YSL Bleu Celadon chips within couple of days. Overall I think if nail polish doesn't chip within 4 days it's a keeper! 

Overall I really like these polishes. The formula and finish (in particular of the 18 I Don't Care shade) reminds me of the YSL nail varnishes but for a fraction of the price. I can speak only for the shades I have tried, so I can't guarantee that it's consistent throughout the whole line. Essence is cruelty-fee and you can find the nail polishes in Finland at Tokmanni and they retail for 1,99€. 

Let me know if you have tried Essence nail polishes and what nail polishes are your favourites!

Cheers,
Muffy

No comments:

Post a Comment