Saturday, July 18, 2015

Can it Be a Dupe for Mac Rebel?

Mac Rebel has a cult following. It is one of the most popular and sold lipsticks that Mac carries. It is up there with Rubby Woo, Viva Glam V and Girl About Town. It is a gorgeous colour no doubt, but is it unique? Is it dupable? I think so.

Mac Rebel and Urban Decay Venom 

Mac Rebel is a pinkish - purple berry colour. I think about ripe raspberries when I look at it. On their website Mac describes it as mid-tonal cream plum. I would disagree, since in my opinion plum shades have a bit more purple in them and less pinky/red. It does look very deep in the bullet with purple hues, so I can see why they described it as such. Upon application however, the colour is less intimidating. Mac Rebel is a Satin formula, which for me falls somewhere in between their Matte and Cremesheen finishes. It is not as creamy as the cremsheen lipsticks but is not as opaque as the matte ones. You can sheer out the colour or wear it as a full on statement lip. I think it works really well for a fall season but if you want you can wear it all year round. Whatever rocks your boat!

A rival that comes very close to Mac Rebel is Urban Decay Revolution lipstick in Venom. They are very similar in texture, the only difference you can pick out is that Venom has more slip to it and a slight shimmer running through it. Mac Rebel has no shimmer. In terms of colour, they are identical. I have tried wearing one on the top lip and another one on the bottom lip and you could not tell the difference. I do think that Mac Rebel has a better staying power as it is less creamy, in a good way. With Venom I suggest using a lipliner for a more precise and even application. Both will stain your lips, but that is expected from darker colours.

Mac Rebel and Urban Decay Venom
Urban Decay Venom Closer Look at the Texture

An aspect that can tip the scales in the favour of Urban Decay Venom for some people is that it is cruelty free. In terms of price they are more or less the same. Mac Rebel retails for 20,50€ while Urban Decay Venom is sold at 21,86€. You can purchase Urban Decay products from Feelunique plus they offer worldwide shipping. 

I think both lipsticks perform great, but do you need both? I don't think so (unless you are a fuchsia, berry tones lover). When deciding which one to get I would say it all boils down to whether you mind a shimmer in your lipstick and how much you value the product not being tested on animals.

Let me know if you have more budget alternatives for berry lipsticks!

Until next time,
Muffy


No comments:

Post a Comment