Tuesday, February 23, 2016

My Take On Contouring


All the buzz surrounding contouring and highlighting on social media is pretty overwhelming. And let me tell you never in a million years did I think that I would fall into the hype but here we are talking about contouring. Now, there are plenty of powders, creams, sticks and tools on the market that can help you achieve those modelesque cheekbones. Here are just a few of my personal favourites.

Makeup Geek Contour Powder in Infidelity and MAC Sculpting Pro Powder in Sculpt
Let's start with contour powders. My go to ones are Makeup Geek's Contour Powder in Infidelity (which is a newer addition) and MAC's Pro Powder in Sculpt. Both are great shades for mimicking a shadow, easy to use and blend like a dream (especially for those like me who are newbies in this department). In terms of colour payoff Infidelity is a sure winner and you need just a tiny bit to chisel those cheeks. It does kick-off a bit of powder when you dip your brush into the pan but that doesn't bother me (as it's super soft and is to be expected). If I compare the two MAC's Sculpt is a bit more neutral rosy-toned, while Makeup Geek's Infidelity is darker and more of an ashier cooler tone. Personally I think that Sculpt works better for my complexion, since I do have more of neutral/warmer undertones. I am thinking of picking up Makeup Geek's Bad Habit (which is described as Warm Fair) once I run out of MAC's Sculpt

Elf Blending Brush and Makeup Geek Angled Stippling Brush

Now let's talk about brushes. I have tried quite a few and eventually settled down on two: Elf's Blending Brush and Makeup Geek's Angled Stippling Brush. I like them for different reasons. Elf's Blending Brush is great for a smooth, everyday, barely there application. Hence I use it on a daily basis. Due to its unique shape I place it right where I want to contour and since it's so fluffy it blends out the product seamlessly. It has synthetic bristles, it's cruelty-free and vegan. If I want more of a sharper contour I opt for Makeup Geek's Angled Stippling Brush. It has an angled tip which is great for more precise application. I place it right where my cheekbones are and just push the product in. I don't blend the product out as vigorously as I would with Elf's Blending Brush. Makeup Geek's Angled Stippling Brush is also cruelty-free.

L-R: Makeup  Geek Infidelity and MAC Sculpt

These are my go to products for contouring. I am by no means a pro but for my purposes a.k.a normal everyday life, these work great. I would say that if you are on a hunt for a cruelty-free, blendable and affordable contour powder, Makeup Geek is where it's at. 

I hope you found this post useful and I would love to hear if contouring is an essential step in your everyday makeup routine or not!

Cheers,
Muffy

2 comments:

  1. love all things contouring, but still in search for perfect brush/contour powder :) Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar works well for me, but it is so not travel friendly, I am always too afraid to drop it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know the feeling. But I think that Makeup Geek could be a good alternative since they have a really good shade range and are very reasonably priced. In regards to brushes, Real Techniques have a contour brush that is quite good and Makeup Geek have a few options ( e.g blush brush which in my opinion is too small for blush but perfect for contouring and of course the angled stippling brush for a more sharp contour look).

      Delete