Friday, January 22, 2016

Urban Decay 1993 vs Mac Whirl

I don't know about you, but when doing my research on Mac Whirl and Urban Decay 1993 lipstick I couldn't find many comparison swatches of both colours side by side (besides of course Temptalia).  As such I figured why don't I get Mac Whirl and see how do they actually compare, and perhaps make the purchasing decision somewhat easier for some of you.
Mac Whirl and UD Matte Revolution Lipstick in 1993

In terms of texture they are pretty similar, with Urban Decay 1993 being a little bit more creamier. But for a matte formula Mac Whirl is surprisingly creamy and glides effortlessly on the lips. I have a few other Mac lipsticks from the matte range, but they are slightly drier in texture. Mac Whirl has been added to the permanent line quite recently, so I assume they might have improved the formula. When it comes to pigmentation both lipsticks are extremely pigmented and don't need building up. When it comes to the shape of a lipstick bullet I actually prefer Mac's since I find it more user friendly in terms of application. Urban Decay lipsticks can be a bit tricky when you want a precise application especially with deeper colours. I use Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Lip Pencil in 1993 with both lipsticks and it works great.
Mac Whirl and UD Matte Revolution Lipstick in 1993

Now, when looking at the colour they both fall under that brown-mauve lipstick category which is extremely on trend nowadays. At first glance I thought they were identical, but after swatching a few times and applying on my lips (1993 on the top lip and Whirl on the bottom lip) the difference was quite evident. Mac Whirl is more mauve and lighter, while Urban Decay 1993 is more brown and darker. Despite being brown I feel like 1993 translates a tad bit cooler on me (this will however depend a lot on your skin colour and undertone, I have more of a neutral/warm undertone).

Top :Urban Decay 1993, Bottom: Mac Whirl
T-B: Mac Whirl and UD 1993

Having worn both lipsticks I feel like Mac Whirl is more wearable just because it has more of that mauve, dusty rose undertone to it, so more people can get away with it. For me it's difficult to chose favourites since I am all about this type of shades and I can justify having both of them. However, if you want to get just one 90's grunge lipstick it all boils down to your ethical values and preferences. As said earlier a more flattering colour in my opinion would be Mac Whirl especially if you are of lighter complexion, however if you want to support a cruelty-free company Urban Decay 1993 would be your best pick. In terms of price they are very similar and equally hard to get, since they are sold-out all the time.

I hope this was helpful to some of you and you have a better idea of which one to get if either.

Until next time,
Muffy

P.S For those living in Helsinki, Finland and wanting to get their hands on Mac Whirl as it has been sold-out for forever at the Mac's counter in Stockmann, I got you covered. A friend of mine picked one for me at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport and I hear that there are still plenty left and let's not forget you save a few pennies as well ;). 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've honestly been looking for the comparisons of these two because these are my favorite colors to wear on my lips. I just got the MAC Whirl lipstick because of this!
    <3<3<3
    Daisy || www.daisydaisydaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear you found this useful and congrats on the purchase, it's a really good one!

      Delete