Monday, July 20, 2015

Mac Paint Pot vs Milani Shadow Eyez Pencil

If you want to get into Mac and don't know where to start, Mac Paint Pots are among the first things you should go for. They are very common in the beauty world and many people swear by them. I was very intrigued to try them for myself and after careful deliberation I decided to go with Mac Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Groundwork. I was looking for an everyday eyeshadow base with a slight hint of colour that I can just slap on and go. Little did I know that I could have saved pennies big time!

Mac Paint Pot in Groundwork and Milani Shadow Eyez in Cafe Au Lait

In a nutshell Mac Paint Pots are cream eyeshadows that can be worn alone or used as an eyeshadow base. They come in an array of mostly neutral colours but you can find some really unique shades like sea foam (a.k.a Mac Paint Pot in Clearwater). Finishes vary as well from matte, to shimmery, to frost, to metallic. Mac Paint Pot in Groundwork is a matte neutral taupe colour. It is not too warm and not too cool, it gives just enough colour to make your eyelids look more put together. I really enjoy this colour. I usually wear it on its own. It would work especially well as a base for cooler shadows, since it has that taupe hue. Mac Paint Pots claim to be long-wearing up to 15 hours, water-resistant, stay-true to colour and crease-proof. I do not completely agee with that. In terms of staying true to colour it is so, what you see is what you get. However, long-wearing and crease-proof, not so much. When worn on its own it creases on me after maybe 5 hours of wear. However if used as an eyeshadow base it creases on me within a couple of hours. I need to use a separate eyeshadow primer like Nars Smudge Eyeshadow Base underneath to ensure it stays all day.
Mac Paint Pot in Groundwork
Milani Shadow Eyez in Cafe Au Lait

Now let's look at Milani Shadow Eyez in Cafe Au Lait. Milani is a US based affordable makeup brand that offers a wide range of products, among which are Shadow Eyez. They are eyeshadow pencils that can be worn alone as an eyeshadow base or as an eyeliner. I picked two colours: Almond Cream and Cafe Au Lait. They do have a decent selection of colours and finishes (matte & shimmery), but nowhere near to that of Mac's Paint Pots. Cafe Au Lait is a matte mid-toned, brownish-taupe colour. It is extremely similar to Groundwork. It might not look like it when swatched but on the lids when blended they look identical. One day I wore Mac's Groundwork on one eye and Milani's Cafe Au Lait on the other and nobody told me I look crazy. Shadow Eyez are not as creamy in consistency so you have to work a little bit harder to blend them out. They claim to be long lasting up to 12 hours, water-resistant and crease-proof. Here again I would disagree, as with Paint Pots they last around 5 hours on me until I start seeing a slight creasing. 

L-R:Milani Shadow Eyez Cafe Au Lait and Mac Paint Pot Groundwork

Mac Paint Pot in Groundwork and Milani Shadow Eyez in Cafe Au Lait are dupes in my eyes. They serve the same purpose, the colour is spot on and the longevity is the same. The only difference is that Mac's Groundwork comes in a pot, while Milani's Cafe Au Lait is a pencil which you need to sharpen. It is worth pointing out that the glass jar is not particularly travel friendly, while a pencil you can just throw in your bag. Another substantial difference is that Milani is a cruelty free brand and these pencils are paraben free. In terms of price Mac Pro Longwear Paint Pots retail for 20,50€, while Milani Shadow Eyez are sold for 6,99$. You do get 5g of product in Mac Paint Pots and only 2,8g with Shadow Eyez pencils. That being said, for you to use up an entire Mac Paint Pot before it dries out you have to use it every single day. 

I enjoy both products and iterate depending on my mood. If you have been wondering what is all the rave surrounding Mac Paint Pots and wanted to see for yourself, I say try Milani Shadow Eyez first. I would imagine Milani's Shadow Eyez in Almond Cream to be a great alternative to the very popular Mac Paint Pot in Painterly. You can get Milani products from BeautyJoint

Let me know if you will be giving Shadow Eyez by Milani a go!

Cheers,
Muffy


No comments:

Post a Comment